The International Symposium on Soil and Soilless Cultivation 2012 will be held in Shanghai, China, from 22-25 May 2012. This event is being organised by the International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS), represented by its Commission Plant Substrates and Soilless Culture (CMPS), China Society for Horticultural Science, and the Shanghai Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
The 2012 Shanghai Symposium will focus on:
- Modern hydroponic systems – NFT, DFT,Aeroponics, and other new systems will be discussed, including the use of high technology such as information technology and LED technology. Plant factories, the advanced production system under controlled environment for vegetable, will also be discussed.
- Plant nutrition and growth media – Plant nutrition management, nutrient solution control and disinfection, development of new growth media, recycling and safety disposal of used growth media.
- Plant physiology and abiotic stress, greenhouse environment control, integrated pest and disease management in modern hydroponic systems, as well as food safety and quality issues.
- Aquaponics – functions, technologies, future, and beyond.
- Strategies for urban hydroponic technology, and its economical, ecological and social functions in the past, present and future.
It is predicted that 70% of the world’s population will live in urban areas by 2050. No doubt farms outside urban areas alone will not completely satisfy the large food demand in urban areas. Thus, urban agriculture has important benefits for food security in combination with rural regions. To overcome the shortage of land, water and other related resources, bio and abiotic pollution, and the high cost of labour, fertilisers, water and energy, modern hydroponics and soilless culture will play an important role in future food production.
For further information contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.icesc-2012.com