The Perth Greenhouse Technical Management for the Future course will commence at 8.30am on Monday 27 February through to 12 noon Friday 2 March 2012 at the Willow Pond Reception Centre, 459 Nicholson Road, Canning Vale, Western Australia.
The Cost of the course is A$1,950 and it is accredited under FarmReady (Course no FRTC 1060). Eligible primary producers can claim up to 65% of their training course costs ($1267.50), as well as up to $500 in expenses for people in remote areas.
The short course to designed to assist greenhouse growers in getting the best production out of their system and planning for the future. Presenters will be Graeme Smith (Graeme Smith Consulting) and Rick Donnan (Growool Horticultural Systems and regular contributor to Practical Hydroponics and Greenhouses)
The course currently consists of the following 12 topics and are part of every course to ensure sound greenhouse and hydroponic principles are understood by all participants.
- Greenhouse Plant Physiology
- Water Quality, EC & pH
- Greenhouse Environmental Management
- Plant Structure, Nutrition & Nutrient Management
- Irrigation – Media’s Manager, understanding irrigation in protected cropping and soilless culture
- Media Types & Characteristics
- Crop Registration & Plant Balance, A Professional Approach To Growing.
- Common Greenhouse Pests, Diseases, & IPM
- CO2 Enrichment of Greenhouses
- Recirculation, How To Convert To A Closed Hydroponic System.
- Greenhouse Crop Protection Principles
- Implement a Hydroponic Maintenance Program
Other topics that could be covered (time permitting) would include the following:
- Location, Siting & Layout of Greenhouse Systems
- Greenhouse Structures & Environmental Management
- Basic Hydroponic Systems & Components
- Quality Assurance, OH&S, IT & Production Plan
- Tomato Plant Management, Physical & Cultural Requirements.
- Implement a Plant Establishment Program
- New Greenhouse Investment & Technology Considerations
(NB: The above seven topics could be considered by newer entrants into the hydroponic and greenhouse industry)
The proposed timetable for courses in other states are as follows and venues will be advised closer to the dates.
Week beginning Monday:
|12 March||QLD – Bundaberg|
|26 March||SA – Gawler (Virginia area)|
|16 April||TAS – Devonport|
|30 April||QLD – Brisbane|
Numbers for the course are strictly limited.
For further information and registration contact: Leigh Taig, Controlled Environment Horticulture, Goulburn Ovens Institute of TAFE, Fryers St Shepparton VIC 3630
MB: 0438 381 834 Ph: (03) 5833 2851 Fax: (03) 5833 2881
Email: Ltaig@gotafe.vic.edu.au Ω